Sunday, June 2, 2013

Windham Gets Thier Wings Back in Defeat of Portland by David Field

WINDHAM-The Windham Eagles finished their season 13-3 after defeating the Portland Bulldogs 3-0.

Nate Boyle started pitching for the Windham Eagles and didn’t need help, but got it from the Francoeur brothers to earn the win. “Our intent today was to give Nate 50 or so pitches and give some other guys some work to keep them fresh,” said coach Brody Artes. Leadoff batter Tim Rovnak reached first base in the first inning to show some threat, however the tight Windham defense held the Bulldogs at bay.

In the second inning, Joey Francoeur led off with a double. Zach Conley dropped a bunt that he reached on to advance Francoeur. Calvin Field hit his second single of the game to drive in Francoeur. Conley, thinking he could reach third on the play, had a little too much energy going into third and was tagged out.

Windham came to life again in the fifth inning. Calvin Field led off with a single and stole second base. Jack Herzig reached on an error and Field scored on a pick off throw. Ethan Petty reached on a walk. Spencer Hodge drove a ball deep and drove Herzig in.

Windham’s defense came up huge in the game. In the third, Ryan Ruhlin hit a ball deep over Andrew Whiting’s head in left field. Whiting threw the ball to cutoff shortstop Spencer Hodge who then threw to Tanner Laberge at second to get Ruhlin out. Also, in the fifth, catcher Jack Herzig threw out Ryan Ruhlin who was taking an aggressive lead off first. Herzig also threw out Evan Gallant in the second inning as he attempted to steal second base.

Windham now advances to the SMAA Tournament to be held on Saturday, June 1 at the Ballpark in Old Orchard Beach. Game one features Scarborough against Westbrook. Game two is Windham against Marshwood. After that, Windham will compete in the Western Maine Playoffs as the number three seed. Windham will have a bye and will play their first game on June 6 in Windham.

No comments:

Post a Comment